Friday, April 13, 2012

Pee Politics and Olfactory Communication

...sometimes when watching my cat Kinjal go about her usual feline antics, I go on a lil' reverie, speculating on her actions and what seems to be a most sincere purpose in acting them out. It appears ceremonial. The kneading, the scratching, and the throwing of her lil' butt upon the chair that I'm sitting, or better yet - me.
This type of fantasy was a further contributing factor to the RounHeah' story. That is, the contrasts of human and animal, or more specifically leo panthera, activity was further reflected here in my mind as well.

Scent marking...territorial claim...graffiti...and tagging all came to mind. Better yet, the acts that were most familiar to me by way of PBS's Nature series, or house pets and friends, as a conglomerate they all held that common thread.

Demarcation.


Webster, Oxford, Britannica, and the like all define demarcation and graffiti separately, and rightfully so, but wholly it is: to mark...the act of establishing limits or boundaries...communication...


 And so, in the sense of my story, these verbs, nouns, and transitive verbs all serve the more natural, intrinsic purpose - a case of staking one's own individualism, its also power seeking and proprietorial behavior. Without going into specifics, I'm more so inferring that such territorial acts are obviously radical and political.

How crude is pissing on a wall, or scrawling your name or some declarative statement on property without permission. On the other hand, just how just is it. And yet in still, how so very proper it is? In short, the division of land, who and how someone is deemed the "rightful property holder" of said land, further onto the possession and repossession of it...these were thoughts of consideration in constructing a story about the contrasts and complications that seemed comparable between the human and animal kingdom.




"..I claim this as mine..yeah, this heah, this is my space..my land!"
(Complete essay, Pee Politics and Olfactory Communication: Demarcation and The Male Ego, can be found on Kline Opine's blog as of August, 2012.)

No comments:

Post a Comment